Construction Site Management Degree Apprenticeship
£22,800 per annum
Be at the centre of exciting construction and maintenance projects on one of the most advanced road networks in the world and achieve a degree-level qualification.
What you’ll be doing
Starting September 2024 as an apprentice in Construction Site Management, you’ll get involved with a range of construction and maintenance schemes covering over 550 miles of motorways and A-roads in our North West region.
Working with our experienced Operations teams, you’ll be a vital part of our mission to connect the country through building, maintaining and operating roads that are efficient, effective and above all, safe.
You’ll complete placements on rotation with our teams in:
- Scheme Delivery – working on our capital investment and improvement projects and schemes
- Service Delivery – supporting delivery of our maintenance and response contract
On your learning programme, you’ll study for an undergraduate degree in Construction Management, which is fully funded at no cost to you. You’ll also complete the recognised industry safety certifications for site operations (Site Safety Plus Site Managers’ Safety Training Scheme and Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme).
As well as developing your skills and knowledge, you’ll discover:
- How we deliver construction projects and maintenance and response services with our supply chain
- How our contracts work
- How we communicate with customers and suppliers to keep everyone informed
- How we deliver best practice to make sure our schemes are as efficient and as safe as possible
You’ll find more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
There’ll be plenty of opportunities to apply your learning and gain lots of real-world experience, which will include regular visits to live construction sites. As our site operations are 24/7, there will be occasions where you’ll need to work unsociable hours.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team.
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise.
- The ability to give and receive information effectively.
- The ability to write clearly and concisely.
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways.
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.
To apply please visit