Construction Site Supervisor Apprentice
£18,600 per annum
Darlington, Exeter, Wakefield
Be at the centre of construction site operations on one of the most advanced road networks in the world.
What you’ll be doing
Starting in September 2024 as an apprentice in Construction Site Supervision, you’ll learn about our site operations and get involved in a variety of construction schemes in our Yorkshire North East or South West regions.
Working with our Operations Scheme Delivery teams, you’ll support on-site delivery in the construction phase of our capital investment and improvement projects. You’ll also learn how we manage the performance on-site of our Scheme Delivery Framework, Category Management, Maintenance and Response and our specialist contractors.
As well as developing your technical skills and knowledge, you’ll discover:
- How we deliver construction schemes with our supply chain
- How we report on progress and control quality on construction schemes
- How we control health and safety standards to make sure our schemes are as efficient and as safe as possible
You’ll also complete a Level 4 qualification in Construction and the Built Environment, which will boost your career possibilities in site supervision, or help you qualify for a higher level apprenticeship in construction site management.
You’ll find loads more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
There’ll be plenty of opportunities to apply your learning and gain real-world experience, which will include regular visits to live sites. As our operations are 24/7, there will be times where you’ll need to work unsociable hours.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- Minimum of five GCSEs (including English and Maths, at grade C/grade 4 or above)
- Level 3 Qualification (A Level or BTEC in any subject)
- You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full and clean UK driving licence to be considered for this position and during your employment
- The role requires occasional night working, because of this, applicants must be aged 18 years old or over by September 2024
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.
To apply please visit