Consultation and Community Engagement Lead Officer
This is an exciting role as the lead officer of our consultation and customer engagement team, with your colleagues and reporting to the Team Leader, you will support colleagues across all teams to plan and deliver a programme of corporate consultation and community engagement, which will help to inform policy and service delivery; and measure how effectively we are meeting the needs of our customers.
The team works closely with the Planning Policy team to ensure it meets its obligations for effective community involvement and with your team you’ll support officers in undertaking appropriate community engagement for all planning policy documents which are prepared. You will also support neighbourhood planning groups to effectively engage local residents in the process of creating neighbourhood plans.
You will be able to provide expert advice to heads of service, service managers and others undertaking consultation, and contribute to the development of council policies and services by preparing reports and presentations on the results of consultations.
You will also develop ways to monitor and report on the councils’ use of consultation and community engagement, the costs and benefits and benchmark our approach with others
Consultation and Community Engagement Lead Officer Responsibilities:
• providing input into the creation and deployment of service plans
• understanding and contributing to budget planning, management and expenditure (overseeing and controlling the budget for your team, as required)
• maintaining an awareness and understanding of new legislation and/or best practice, relevant to your team, interpreting the resulting implications and developing appropriate policies, procedures and practice to ensure that both councils comply with their statutory obligations, as well as to secure performance improvement and increased customer satisfaction
• both informing and writing papers for cabinet, council, committees etc.
• contributing to the achievement of both councils’ overall objectives by aligning the team to identified priorities
• promoting a positive image of both councils.
• the day-to-day supervision of employees within your team, including the management of annual leave, annualised hours, sickness and expenses claims
• leading by example in modelling the conduct, behaviour and values expected of the councils’ employees and establish a working environment within your team in which individuals can excel
• with support from the team leader and service manager, participating in the appointment and development of officers within your team
• undertaking and recording performance reviews according to HR policy and procedure
• identifying training and development needs in discussion with the staff within your teams and to encourage participation in any training and development activities
• supporting HR processes, as requested or required
• taking initiative for solving issues and problems
• to cover the duties of the service manager, if required i.e. when the service manager is unavailable through sickness, annual leave or has conflicting appointments
• ensuring the councils’ policies and procedures are deployed correctly within your team, notably health & safety and GDPR
• ensuring that diversity and equality are respected and embedded within your team
• ensuring that consideration and appropriate action is taken in regards to the welfare and wellbeing of employees within your team
• representing either council equally and without bias to all outside bodies
Consultation and Community Engagement Lead Officer Requirements:
• a relevant professional qualification or equivalent demonstrable vocational experience
• proven successful line management experience preferable
• in-depth knowledge and experience of at least one of the functions within your immediate team
• local government experience preferred
• proficient in data analysis, interpretation and reporting complex quantitative and qualitative data.
Your style and behaviours
• a successful line manager who is energetic, determined and positive to develop and maintain an effective team
• excellent line management skills, including the ability to delegate appropriately, empowering employees to effectively deliver operational duties, tasks and goals
• well-developed communication skills to foster collaborative working across teams and deliver training on consultation and engagement as required
• an inclusive team player who can achieve performance and results through others
• the ability to motivate staff within a team to perform at the highest level possible
• display accountability and responsibility
• able to support staff through periods of change
• to communicate in a clear manner, seeking the views and opinions of others
• able to identify and then provide solutions to problems
• able to prioritise your own workload and for others
• prepared to change own and team plans in the short and medium term to fit in with organisational needs and changes
• robust and consistent approach in staff performance
• able to identify success and provide praise and recognition accordingly
• approachable, with good listening skills
• visible, approachable and accessible, with high standards of both personal and professional ethics and credibility
• aware of own strengths and weaknesses and committed to addressing areas for development
• demonstrates a commitment to self and staff development
• political awareness
• willing to travel, as required
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including a career average pension scheme.
The benefits we offer:
• A basic 24 days of annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year.
• Flexible working and annualised hours – a flexible approach to work that our employees love!
• Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April.
• A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary
• No car park costs as there’s ample free parking available by both sites
• The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work!
• A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost
• Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users, after work sports clubs and more)
• We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Contract Type: Fixed Term - 2 years
Hours: Full Time, 37 per week
Salary: £38,932 per annum plus benefits
Closing Date: 20th October 2021
You may have experience of the following: Communications Officer, Press Officer, Internal Communications, CRM, Marketing Assistant, Marketing Executive, Marketing Officer, Communications Executive, Communications Assistant, etc.
Ref: 103 190