Job Description for Criticality Consultant:
This is where your skills play a critical role in keeping everyone safe. Working in Safety, Security and Safeguards gives you the chance to make your mark on some hugely interesting projects. NNL does work that nobody else in the sector is doing, and this means we need experts like you to make it possible, whilst keeping everyone safe. We're committed to using nuclear science to benefit society for years to come. This means that you can build a long and successful career here whilst playing a meaningful role in delivering cleaner energy, reducing waste and keeping colleagues and the public out of harm's way.
Provide delivery and technical leadership to NNL laboratories and external customers, to enable the delivery of technical projects and ensure criticality safety in operations. Maintain and develop technical skills within the Criticality area and support development of team member's skills and capability.
Main Responsibilities for Criticality Consultant:
- Lead on the technical delivery of projects in the criticality area to time, cost, quality, value and service requirements (working independently). Customers may include any UK civil or defence nuclear facility or operator (including NNL laboratories).
- Technical lead on small projects, e.g., up to £50k.
- Supporting long-term projects with a duration from 3 months up to typically 1-2 years.
- Clearly define project / bid deliverables and determine the scope of what milestones need to be completed to achieve the overall objectives.
- Working as part of multi-disciplinary teams addressing safety challenges.
- Interfacing with internal and external stakeholders to effect successful delivery of projects and identify new opportunities for the team.
- Contributing to the development of new capabilities through innovative approaches and providing insight. Work independently on own IR&D project and submit own IR&D proposal.
- Maintaining technical awareness of NNL's capability of the area.
- Developing and maintaining SQEP skills for criticality and continuing professional development.
- Design and deliver criticality awareness training.
- Active involvement in relevant national industry groups.
Essential Criteria for Criticality Consultant:
- Degree qualified in relevant science or equivalent level of demonstrable technical capability.
- Typically SQEP 3 with demonstrable experience in criticality safety.
- Strong level of knowledge and experience with proven track record in technical delivery in the specialised field of criticality safety.
- Proven ability to both act independently under own initiative and to work in a team.
- Strong communication skills, including multi-site working.
- Strong teamworking skills.
- Mentoring skills to mentor and develop junior staff.
- Good networking skills.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years' worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Criticality Consultant:
- Preferably Chartered Membership of a professional institution or working towards this qualification.