Start a rewarding career in customer service and play a key role in making millions of journeys possible.
What you’ll be doing
Our Apprenticeship Programme starts in September 2024 and as a Customer Service apprentice, you’ll be at the heart of our customer experience. You’ll join a large operational team, delivering efficient and effective customer service to over 4 million customers who use our road network daily, making sure they have safe, reliable journeys.
Working in our Operations Customer Service Division, you’ll be helping to gather valuable information that will identify improvements to the services we provide.
You’ll learn all about:
- How we monitor performance in our key customer service functions such as our Customer Contact Centre
- How we respond to customer feedback and complaints
You’ll also support with customer engagement, finding out what our customers need from National Highways and connecting with operational colleagues to put actions and improvements into place.
As well as gaining real-world experience in a challenging and rewarding role, we’ll support you with a comprehensive learning programme. You’ll complete a Level 3 qualification that will open the door to plenty of opportunities for progression here at National Highways.
You can find out more about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship by clicking the apply button with no obligation so why not be as informed as possible before formally applying.
You can choose any National Highways office location as your preferred base for this apprenticeship, providing you’re willing to travel to our other sites when needed.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- Minimum of five GCSEs (including English and Maths, at grade C/grade 4 or above)
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.