Electronic Design Engineer - Hardware
Cambridge - onsite
6 month contract (extension TBC) | 40 hours per week
£294.40 per day
Description of Role:
Project HSD aims to develop a holographic storage solution for Cloud data centres, using a multi-disciplinary approach spanning media physics, optical physics, machine learning and storage systems. Experimental work is performed on computer-controlled optical test rigs in which a subset of hardware devices are synchronized, for purposes of control and instrumentation, through a wiring loom emanating from a pair of National Instruments BNC2110 breakout boxes. With an increasing number of devices being attached to our rigs, and additional rigs being planned, we now need to replace the existing looms with a bespoke solution offering tighter integration and improved signal integrity.
We are therefore seeking an experienced Electronic Engineer to design, implement and deploy a bespoke system that integrates all the electronics subsystems and provides timing control between them.
Typical day in the role:
Design, source, assemble and test electronic systems required to support ongoing research activities. Likely to vary from simple quick designs with few constraints, to high bandwidth data acquisition, stages and robotics. Interactively take and develop requirements from the team to find appropriate solutions in a collaborative environment. The team is agile and priorities and tasks can change rapidly.
- Expert Altium PCB schematic and layout
- Analogue, digital, RF and optoelectronic design, from paper study to simulation (ideally in LTspice) and ECAD
- Bench debugging (e.g. electronic debugging with oscilloscopes or logic analyser)
- PCB assembly and hand soldering of surface mount components
- Mechanical experience (manual and automated workshop tools and equipment such laser cutting, 3D printing and light machining, Solidworks)
- Microcontroller firmware for embedded applications
- Simulation software e.g. Ansys signal integrity analysis
- Higher level software for automation, integration, or demonstration (e.g. Python, C#)
If you are interested in this vacancy, please apply directly and we will be in touch to discuss suitability and next steps.