Your new role
National Highways is recruiting a Highway Engineer to join our Engineering Team within our Operations Directorate in the South West region.
Throughout the planning and development stage of a project, you will undertake and help manage the activities and resources involved in the identification and development of early solutions for highways assets. Working with key stakeholders, including project teams and third parties, you will help coordinate works across the region, providing technical support and ensuring adherence to our defined asset class strategies, policies and standards.
This role shall provide an excellent opportunity to apply and develop your engineering and asset management knowledge, skills and experience within a progressive organisation investing billions across the Strategic Road Network.
As a flexible working organisation we offer this role from either our Bristol or Exeter offices. From time to time there will be a requirement to travel between our offices and those of our stakeholders and partners. Please note that the role may also require work during unsociable hours.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position.
What you’ll be leading on
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
- Identification and development of asset studies and survey works to ensure assets remain in serviceable condition and meet the requirements of our standards. Assisting with safety risk assessment where necessary to support asset management decision making and prioritisation of renewals programmes.
- Development of early solutions for renewals and/or improvements, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, considering new techniques, carbon Impact, buildability, and costs
- Supporting project management teams with technical queries relating to development of detailed design solutions.
- Assist with development of works briefs to enable procurement of external design resources and survey works
To be successful
- Hold a degree or HND in a relevant discipline and appropriate experience, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling and risk assessment
- Understanding of the Value Management process or cost benefit analysis of schemes
- Good knowledge of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highway network
- Experience in relevant construction and delivery methods and knowledge of CDM 2015
A bit about us
Operations is at the heart of keeping the strategic road network moving and ensuring our customers get the best possible experience when using our roads.
We address over 39,000 customer enquiries every month, plan and deliver all maintenance activities on the network, drive efficiencies and improvements across our systems and roads, and respond to incidents across 4,500 miles of motorways and major A-roads that we manage. All to make sure National Highways customers have safer, smoother, and more reliable journeys.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number #4637