Royal London is the largest mutual life insurance, pensions and investment company in the UK. Since its foundation 160 years ago, Royal London has supported millions of people to protect and provide for themselves and their families.
Our culture is welcoming, friendly, flexible and we aim to make you always feel included. We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break or those who are transitioning from different sectors.
To support this we are always open to discussing flexible working arrangements and as we transition to hybrid working we will discuss working patterns or locations that ensure you have the freedom to be your best. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
We believe that being together some of the time will help our colleagues to feel truly connected to our Spirit of Royal London culture. Many of us value the passing conversations, social interactions and building relationships that comes from being together in the office.
Part of Royal London’s strategy is to become and insight-led modern mutual with a view to improving customer outcomes. Being insight-led means we are making data a core strategic asset and investing heavily in our data capabilities.
The Lead Data Engineer role is influential in the delivery of insight-led initiatives, providing guidance and direction to a team of Data Engineers. The role will work closely with Technical Leads and the Architecture function, providing SME experience to help shape roadmaps and high-level designs. The role will also have responsibilities around operational aspects of running cloud data platforms.
- Lead the development and operation of data solutions aimed at effectively extracting value from our data at scale through tools, environments, and practices.
- Implementing complex solutions including batch and streaming architectures, data warehousing, and analytical dashboards
- Work with source data subject matter experts to understand how to extract key data from our systems of record
- Transform data to align with an enterprise data model
- Present data in a state ready for consumption
- Manage Azure configurations as code using CICD techniques
- Build automated tests to continuously test our data pipelines
- Define the logging, alerting, and monitoring required to effectively manage the Azure data platform
- Operate the Azure data platform to ensure service levels are maintained
- Safely release changes through environments
- Contribute to the Data Engineering practice by sharing ideas and experience
- Strong data querying language skills
- Experience in designing, building and operating Azure data services
- Can work without supervision – Being pro-active and solutioning problems without needing prompted
- Ability to work as part of a team contributing effectively to your area
- Good understanding of the full software development lifecycle
- Technical knowledge of one or more scripting languages. (Python, PowerShell, etc.)
- Awareness of agile development practices. (Kanban)
- Experience in the use of Azure DevOps
- Familiar with automated testing techniques and frameworks
What we offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return.
- Glassdoor have again ranked as among the best places to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.