- Job Reference: 103502
- Date Posted: 8 October 2021
- Recruiter: Easy Web Recruitment
- Location: Abingdon
- Salary: £31,471
- Sector: Government, Real Estate & Property
- Job Type: Full Time Flex
- Duration: 2 years
- Work Hours: Full Time
The aim of the Housing Needs team is to help people access the support and accommodation required to meet their housing need.
We are now recruiting for a Lettings Officer who will play a key role in meeting this aim by providing an efficient and effective housing service.
Lettings Officer Responsibilities:
• to assess Health and Welfare applications in line with the Council’s Housing Allocations Policy
• to assess Additional Bedroom Questionnaires in line with the Council’s Housing Allocations Policy
• to make formal review decisions regarding an applicant’s eligibility to join the housing register or to review their housing need banding.
• to offer advice and assistance on matters relating to the Council’s housing registers and Choice Based lettings schemes.
• to nominate successful applicants to Registered Providers in accordance with the Councils’ Housing Allocations Policy and Homechoice Agreements.
• responsibility for liaising with the police over public safety issues concerning re-housing dangerous offenders and sex offenders.
• to liaise with statutory and voluntary agencies to ensure appropriate support packages are in place for nominated applicants.
• to operate the Council’s allocations scheme and nominations to housing providers. This will include home visits.
• to liaise with statutory and voluntary agencies to ensure appropriate support packages are in place for our customers.
• to maintain accurate computer records for all housing applicants and offers of accommodation.
• assist in the implementation of new policies, procedures and legislation.
• any other duties relevant to the position and appropriate to the grading of the post.
Lettings Officer Requirements:
• a good knowledge of housing legislation and tenancy law.
• a good knowledge of health and safety regulations relevant to letting, maintenance and managing accommodation
• ability to use IT systems
• excellent oral and written communication skills
• good interpersonal skills
• a good knowledge of private sector housing
• understanding of confidentiality
• ability to devise appropriate outcomes for customers and work on own initiative
• experience of dealing with vulnerable people and people who are distressed
Your essential experience and qualifications
• 5 GCSE’s at grades A – C, including mathematics, or equivalent level of qualification
• full and current driving licence and use of car for insured for business purposes
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus
• professional housing qualification
• familiarity with the district and in particular housing issues
• knowledge of Abritas, the housing database
• knowledge of welfare reform
• experience of working in local government
• experience of working in social housing
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including a career average pension scheme.
The benefits we offer
• A basic 24 days’ annual leave per annum, rising to 28 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year.
• Flexible working and annualised hours – a flexible approach to work to work that our staff love!
• Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April.
• A generous career average salary pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary
• No car park costs as there’s ample free parking
• The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work!
• A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost
• Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, workplace exercise classes, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users and more)
• We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
Contract Type: Fixed Term - 2 years
Hours: Full Time, 37 per week
Salary: £31,471 per annum plus benefits
Closing Date: 12 pm 31st October 2021
You may have experience of the following: Lettings Officer, Housing Assistant, Home Allocation, Project Officer, Support Worker, Accommodation Allocation, Housing Advice Officer, Homelessness Advice Officer, Youth Worker, Probation Officer, Community Support Worker, Social Worker, Housing Administrator, Benefits Advisor, Lettings Assistant, Public Sector, Local Government, etc.
Ref: 103 502