6 Month Contract | Full Time
£294 per day (Inside IR35)
We are?looking for an experienced?Mechanical?engineer to develop complete mechanical solutions for future cloud infrastructure working alongside?world-leading researchers and engineers. The team is multi-disciplinary, comprising optics, software and electronics experts with a collaborative and agile atmosphere.
A specific and ongoing deliverable will be to update the existing Solidworks models of our experimental rigs to ensure their completeness and accuracy, and periodically to compare the models against the actual state of the rigs, adjusting the models where necessary to that their completeness and accuracy is preserved.
Skillset (Ranked in order of preference)
- Demonstrable expertise using CAD software?(preferably Solidworks)
- Hands-on experience with methods of fabrication to include machining and 3D printing.
- Experience working with 3rd party suppliers of high-precision, low-volume, custom-designed parts.
- Confidence communicating with colleagues from multi-disciplinary backgrounds across optics and instrument design to understand and present design goals and constraints.
- Significant experience?in the design and implementation of?systems requiring sub-micrometre accuracy and alignment.
- Experience?mitigating?vibrations?to achieve micron-scale stability over hours-long run times.
- Experience designing parts to mitigate against long-term mechanical drift.
- Confidence to work independently to characterise performance of mechanical and optomechanical modules prior to integration into larger research instruments.
- Experience using version management tools (preferably Solidworks PDM)
- Familiarity with optical systems?including free space optics, waveguide/fibre optics, monolithic optical design.
- Hands-on experience with a desktop 5-axis CNC mill.
- Precision motion/alignment
- Thermal analysis
- Design for Manufacture
- Simulation tools (preferably Ansys)
Typical Day in the Role
Design, source, assemble and test mechanical systems required to support ongoing research activities. Likely to vary from static alignment mounts to actuator mechanisms and stages. Interactively take and develop requirements from the team to find appropriate solutions in a collaborative environment.The team is agile, and priorities and tasks can change rapidly.
Interested? Apply swiftly with your CV and we will be in touch to confirm your application.