This is a great opportunity to come and join our state of the art facility at Wilmslow, which is at the heart of the worlds mass spectrometry development!
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will work in one of our Cloud platform teams, playing a key role in developing software which makes a real impact to peoples lives whether its developing Covid Tests and vaccines; helping scientists detect cancer; ensuring food safety or helping scientists develop biodegradable plastics – our work Delivers Benefit!
The team you'll join are currently completing the development of the suite of micro-services (e.g. Tenancy Admin, Notifications) written in C# and built on the AWS architecture that will comprise our first Cloud Platform, due live later in the year. Many other initiatives are being worked on to support the new platform, such as developing montoring using DataDog, security hardening using GitHub Actions, introducing Playwright for our automation testing.
What can we offer you?
- A plan for your personal development in your own area of specialism, pursuing this with the support of your manager to undertake the training and learning to progress.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours and a hybrid approach
- 25 days annual leave
- Private health and dental insurance
- Contributory based pension scheme
- Subsidized membership of onsite gym
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
As a Principal Software Engineer within the Cloud platform, you would be part of the Waters Informatics group producing software that is used by people worldwide for specialist measurement and scientific analysis. Your main responsibilities would include:
- Designing, developing and/or maintaining all aspects of software developed within the Cloud platform team
- Collaborating with stakeholders on software and technical issues.
- Acting as technical expert for coding, process and best practices (e.g. adherence to Definition of Done) and effectively communicate this to the team
- Coaching and mentoring of more junior team members.
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive knowledge and proven experience as a software developer, with exposure to elements of our back end technology stack (C#, .Net)
- Good experience working with Amazon Web Services, Microservices, API development
- Knowledge and application of software engineering practices (e.g. Unit testing, TDD, CI/CD, SOLID, BDD etc.) and experience working as part of an agile delivery team.
The following criteria are desirable, but are not essential since training will be provided for you:
- Continuous delivery, with pipelines implemented in Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience implementing and maintaining Datadog
- Experience using GitHub and GitHub Actions
- Behaviour Driven Development (BDD), with Gherkin & SpecFlow
- Atlassian Jira, Confluence & JFrog Artifactory
- Software security best practices and implementation (e.g. OWASP, PKI, X509 Certificates, TLS)
- Software development for regulated environments (e.g. IVD / Medical devices).