Project Controls Technician Apprenticeship
£16,100 per annum
Start your career at the centre of multimillion pound improvement projects on one of the world’s most advanced road networks.
What you’ll be doing
Starting in September 2024, our Project Controls Technician apprenticeship is a great way to gain real-world experience, supporting major infrastructure projects worth over £14 billion!
Working with experienced teams in our Major Projects directorate, you’ll learn how to:
- Apply project controls techniques such as estimating, planning, scheduling and cost engineering
- Monitor project progress/performance and analyse data
- Identify and manage risks, issues and problems
- Understand and apply health, safety and environmental standards and legislation in a project setting
As well as developing your skills and knowledge, you’ll discover how we work with our supply chain to deliver our major projects and how we use data to support business decisions and improve project performance.
You’ll also work towards a Level 3 qualification, which will open the door to career progression opportunities in Project Controls and professional accreditation with the Association of Cost Engineers (ACostE).
You’ll find loads more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- Minimum of five GCSEs (including English and Maths, at grade C/grade 4 or above)
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
Major Projects is responsible for the delivery of nearly 70 projects with a total value more than £14 billion, and some of the most exciting and complex projects in the country. National Highway’s goal is to change the industry: to make roads and their construction and maintenance safer; to be more responsive to the needs of our customers, particularly about biodiversity and carbon; and to exploit the digital agenda and drive the productivity agenda to improve delivery.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.
To apply please visit