Project Management Apprentice
£18,600 per annum
Start your journey to becoming a project management professional whilst being at the centre of exciting projects that help connect the country.
What you’ll be doing
Starting in September 2024 as a project management apprentice, you’ll develop your experience and knowledge through working on a variety of exciting projects, from multi-million-pound investment and improvement schemes to vital safety and innovation projects that shape how we build and operate our roads.
Guided and mentored by experienced project professionals, you’ll explore the full lifecycle of project delivery, planning and management. You’ll also complete a programme of learning that will help you achieve professional recognition as a member of the Association for Project Management (APM).
At the end of your apprenticeship, you’ll have opportunities to continue your career journey with us and be at the heart of projects that deliver real impact in connecting the country.
We have vacancies across various divisions of National Highways including Major Projects, Safety, Engineering and Standards and Operations. Where you are placed will depend on your preferred location. Please let us know your preferred location at application and we’ll try to match your preference. However, we can’t guarantee this. Wherever you’re based, you’ll need to be willing to travel to other locations when needed.
You’ll find loads more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 / grade C or above, including English and Maths
Plus, ONE of the following:
- At least 48 UCAS tariff points or equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC, T Level, NVQ)
- Equivalent relevant experience
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off. This includes delivery of nearly 70 major projects with a total value more than £14 billion, and some of the most exciting and complex projects in the country.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.
To apply please visit