Job Description for Project Manager
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you'll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It's a challenging role but it's an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
NNL deliver strategic nuclear innovation programmes on behalf of UK government, securing the future of nuclear energy in a clean energy system. Our role in supporting government through delivery of these programmes spans a range of technical areas, from security and safeguards, to nuclear innovation in the areas of advanced reactors. This role will be to support delivery of these programmes.
Full time Project Manager position, to manage a variety of technical projects across a range of individual customers across the BEIS portfolio. Projects will range in £100k's to £1M+ range.
The position will report into a Customer Workstream Lead in terms of delivery, with line management provided by a Senior Project Manager. The position sits with the Project Management Authority.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Risley or Preston.
Main Responsibilities for Project Manager
- Deliver projects to meet Time, Cost and Quality requirements.
- Ensure adequate health and safety requirements are in place at all times for all team members and for sub-contracted work.
- Oversee the management of projects throughout the project lifecycle from kick-off through to close-out and ensure adherence to contract, procedures and use of control documents.
- Ensuring suitable planning arrangements to support commercial bids and subsequent delivery of contracts.
- Ensure that staff are suitably qualified, competent and experienced to fulfil their project delivery accountabilities.
- Act as a direct interface with Customers for all project delivery issues.
- Meet NNL business objectives whilst striving to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Ensuring issues are promptly highlighted within the management chain to enable quick resolution.
- Managing Customer deviations from scope, schedule and cost in the best interests of the NNL business whilst maintaining the customer relationship.
- Arranging for the resource and facilities to be available from within NNL to meet the project program.
- Establishing, monitoring and managing risks through Risk Registers for project work, including the management of Contingency.
Essential Criteria for Project Manager
- APM PMQ qualified.
- Demonstrable experience within a Nuclear industrial environment.
- Experience in managing R&D type projects
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deliver within a team environment.
- Proven excellent customer relationship skills.
- Ability to deal with people across a wide range of management levels and technical expertise, including external organisations, plant management and commercial functions.
- Proven record of problem solving and the ability to negotiate solutions to allow safe and efficient operations.
- Proven track record in delivering complex research based projects to time, cost and quality.
- Ability to travel between sites/customers (Full Driving Licence Essential).
- Ability to obtain BPSS level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment and criminal record checks).
Desirable Criteria for Project Manager
- Ability to utilise project scheduling software for the purposes of controlling and monitoring project works, e.g. MS Project.
- Demonstrable financial acumen and experience of using financial monitoring & performance tools / processes.
- Use of Microsoft Office - Work, Excel, Power-point.