Job Description for Risk Manager:
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you'll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It's a challenging role but it's an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
To ensure that there are implemented risk processes and strategies for business-critical projects, programmes, and business risk, delivering to diverse clients across the nuclear industry. Working within the PMO office, will be required to ensure that there is an efficient, effective, and comprehensive approach to risk management providing effective controls and assurance to minimise risk events, which result in a negative impact to the organisation/employees/assets and poor customer outcomes, reputational damage or regulatory scrutiny/intervention.
Main Responsibilities for Risk Manager:
- Design, development and implementation of integrated Portfolio, Programme and Project Risk management processes, procedures, tools and reporting to comply with the Company Risk Policy.
- Facilitate identification, assessment, analysis and management of threats, opportunities, and issues within the portfolio of programmes and projects.
- Maintain visibility of threat/opportunity trigger points to facilitate risk cost profiling, timely draw down of risk budget or retirement or realisation of threat/opportunity.
- Facilitate the identification of risk and recording of appropriate treatment responses which are measurable and specific, along with assessing the post mitigated positions
- Monitor overall portfolio and programme risk exposure from the risk registers, assess against the remaining risk budget, and provide insight and recommendations.
- Proactively manage the completion of management responses to help deliver target positions.
- Work with Supply Chain Managers to assess sub-contractor held risks and their views on programme held risk that impact upon them.
- Maintain an awareness of risks in other projects and their impact on the programme or portfolio.
- Produce risk-based reports as required in a timely manner to support the effective communication of the risk status.
- Support the Programme and Project teams to maintain detailed risk registers.
- Ensure that risk management cadence and governance is performed.
- Ensure that Key Risk Indicators (KRIs) are clearly defined, documented, monitored, and regularly reviewed.
- Investigate and report risk events, ensuring that the root cause of each event is identified and that a programme of action is designed to effectively mitigate the risk, in line with the Enterprise Wide Risk Framework.
- Work alongside Project and Programme Managers to contribute to the creation of robust, objective and accurate reporting at a portfolio, programme, and project level.
- Report latest risk positions and mitigations to stakeholders through regular governance meetings and reviews.
- Monitor identification and closeout of programme level issues.
Essential Criteria for Risk Manager:
- Project Management Institute level 2 Risk Management.
- Institute of Management International Diploma in Risk and Enterprise Management.
- APM Risk Level 2.
- Accredited member of a professional Risk Body (IRM, PMI).
- Demonstrable experience in implementing and embedding risk management frameworks and compliance assurance activities.
- Ability to drive improvement and deliver results against clear and measurable targets and standards.
- Ability to operate in a matrix-based organisation, balancing and meeting the requirements of multiple reporting lines and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable evidence of Programme and Project Management competencies to:
- an expert level in Threat and Opportunity Management, Issue Management, Change Management, Execution and Control.
- an advanced level in Stakeholder Management, Planning and Governance.
- an intermediate level in Financial Management and Commercial and Contracts.
- Skilled in providing risk management coaching.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years' worth of UK residency).