Job Description for Safety Consultant:
There's never been a more exciting time to be part of the nuclear sector. New opportunities are being created all the time. At NNL, you'll be in the ideal place to capitalise on this momentum, face new challenges and develop a long, successful and meaningful career.
We're an organisation that's here to experiment and push the limits of what's possible. So, if you're keen to excel in your chosen field, this is the place to do it. Because at NNL, anything is possible.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, talented Safety Consultant who has some experience in the production of radiological safety assessments to join our team and helps us deliver some of the UKs most cutting-edge nuclear projects. NNL are at the forefront of nuclear research and development in the UK and beyond with a wide range of projects that require creative safety support. If you are able to show a track record of technical delivery of projects, the ability to work as part of a team to deliver the right safety case for the project and have the integrity to ensure that the outcome is safe and fit for purpose then a role in NNL might be right for you.
The team you will join is a dedicated, hard-working group who are passionate about the work they do. We support working flexibly, can accommodate homeworking, and can be flexible about location, although some travel will be necessary, to support business needs.
The location for this role is flexible and can be based at Sellafield, Preston or Risley.
Main Responsibilities for Safety Consultant:
- To provide expert knowledge of radiological safety assessment because you are up to date with developments in methodology and approach.
- To deliver radiological safety assessments to meet project requirements.
- To provide SQEP safety support to multi-disciplinary teams addressing safety challenges, including support and development of junior colleagues.
- To develop good relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- To provide support to bids for new work.
- To contribute to the development of new capabilities through innovative approaches including being involved in complex R&D projects and submissions.
- To be interested in developing team skills for radiological safety through mentoring and supervision.
- To deliver specialist radiological safety training within the team and across NNL.
Essential Criteria for Safety Consultant:
- Degree qualified or equivalent level of demonstrable technical capability.
- Experienced in production of radiological safety assessments across a variety of projects.
- Good level of knowledge in the field of radiological safety assessment.
- Proven ability to act independently, under own initiative, potentially while supervising other members of the team.
- Strong communication skills, including remote working.
- Good teamworking skills.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years' worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Safety Consultant:
- Knowledge of advanced assessment techniques.
- Some experience in mentoring and developing technical skills.
- Preferably Chartered Membership, or working towards, of a professional institution.
- Good networking skills, maintaining network across the radiological field nationally.