Royal London is the largest mutual life insurance, pensions and investment company in the UK. Since its foundation 160 years ago, Royal London has supported millions of people to protect and provide for themselves and their families.
Our culture is welcoming, friendly, flexible and we aim to make you always feel included. We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break or those who are transitioning from different sectors.
To support this, we are always open to discussing flexible working arrangements and as we transition to hybrid working we will discuss working patterns or locations that ensure you have the freedom to be your best. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
We believe that being together some of the time will help our colleagues to feel truly connected to our Spirit of Royal London culture. Many of us value the passing conversations, social interactions and building relationships that comes from being together in the office.
The Investment Accounting team is responsible for the oversight of the outsourced Investment accounting provider on behalf of the group and provides assurance around valuation uncertainty in addition to ensuring appropriate investment accounting control and expertise.
The role requires assisting in driving and facilitating technical accounting support, the delivery of investment data controls, oversight, provision, and data analysis for the Solvency II group (re Ireland).
The role oversees the delivery of Libor project activity into BAU processes and manage and develop the capability of the Investment Accounting team into a high performing team.
- Provide oversight of outsourced investment accounting
- Manage the Investment Accounting team, ensuring delivery of its objectives against those set by the Head of Finance Close.
- Be recognised as a subject matter expert in Investment Accounting, and as a point of day to day escalation for the team on technical and management queries.
- Manage the operational running of the team, ensuring a high quality of output is delivered that exceeds/meets key stakeholder expectations.
- Ensure that all processes within the team are documented effectively and to the required standards, including Financial Reporting Data Control Framework controls, ensuring the team complete design assessments and operating effectiveness self-assessments, with deficiencies reported and escalated to Head of Finance Close.
- Identify opportunities to continuously improve the quality, controls and operational effectiveness and efficiency of the team, and become slicker and more efficient.
- Lead by example, encouraging Managers in the area to also lead in the Spirit of London values and principles.
- Ensure an appropriate balance between BAU activities and change across the team, ensuring that change, and its impacts are appropriately planned, managed, and prioritised.
- Professionally qualified, where required and educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Strong understanding of the financial drivers and methodologies for UK Life and Pensions organisations.
- Can communicate complex financial matters clearly and precisely.
- Strong management skills and a proven ability to manage teams.
- Strong stakeholder management skills to peers, the finance community and non-finance colleagues.
- Good understanding of UK life and Pension industry accounting and actuarial aspects and its regulatory environment.
- Strong ability to create buy-in to a vision.
What we offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return.
- Glassdoor have again ranked as among the best places to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.