Job Description for Senior Project Controller:
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you'll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It's a challenging role but it's an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
Responsible for the provision of Project Controls support services to Project Managers on relevant NNL projects, programmes and/or portfolios. This will include providing general leadership; mentoring and coaching to the local Project Controllers; providing input into development of project plans and associated WBSs, and support to projects on matters including cost estimating, performance data analysis, risk management and project reporting, including earned value (EV).
Main Responsibilities for Senior Project Controller:
- Provide day-to-day leadership, mentoring and support as required ensuring that the PC services are effectively discharged.
- Develop and embed the correct behaviours across the PC team to maintain an effective Project Controls service to the NNL PM community.
- Actively contribute to the continuous improvement of functional quality and performance of the Project Controls team and the improvement of relevant PC processes, tools and systems.
- Attendance at, and provision of input into, Project Management Office (PMO) senior level review meetings (as required), and support the Senior Project Controls lead on functional level quality improvement initiatives.
- Ensure that all deliverables and day-to-day activities conducted by the local Project Controls team are conducted in line with the relevant Project Controls frameworks, systems, processes and procedures.
- Ensure the generation of fully detailed project forecast cost estimates, work breakdown structures (WBS), and 'quantity tracking' tools / mechanisms, on higher complexity / risk projects (project classifications 3 & 4) to ensure safe and successful delivery within a robust project controls framework.
- Implement effective project control techniques (in line with best practice), including where appropriate monitoring of 'earned value'; cost and schedule variance; estimates at completion (EACs); critical path analysis and risk, to deliver projects effectively.
- Prepare, monitor and forecast expenditure profiles and provide accruals where needed.
- Prepare cost and progress reports, including earned value analysis, identifying critical paths.
- Provide support where relevant to Risk Reviews / workshops, assisting Project Managers with the discharging of their duties; leading and guiding the project risk assessment process (where requested).
Essential Criteria for Senior Project Controller:
- Graduate (minimum 2:2) in relevant discipline.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully discharging Planning related services on medium - large scale / complex projects planning in engineering environments.
- Experience in a Planning role, with experience of team management.
- Professional qualification in APM or equivalent.
- Commercial and Contract awareness.
- Risk Analysis awareness.
- Demonstrable experience of successful delivery.
- Good working knowledge and proficient in the use of Microsoft Project EPM, Primavera P6, Agresso and Microsoft Office Suite (or other professional project scheduling software packages).
- Experience of utilising project collaboration software, e.g. Sharepoint, Project Webspace, etc.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years' worth of UK residency).