Service Designer Degree Apprenticeship
£22,800 per annum
Birmingham or Leeds
Learn how we design, deliver and improve our digital and IT services and achieve a professional qualification.
What you’ll be doing
Starting in September 2024 as an apprentice Service Designer, you’ll join our Digital Services directorate in creating sustainable IT services that help deliver the right experiences for our colleagues and customers across the business, focusing on human-centred design.
Working in our Service Design and Transition team, you’ll be supporting a range of exciting design projects, from initial research to delivery of the final design. Guided and mentored by experienced specialists, you’ll learn:
- The fundamentals of design thinking that balance user, business and technology needs
- How to create design deliverables such as user journeys, service blueprints, wireframes, prototypes and design guidelines
- How we communicate and engage with our service users throughout the service design process to create solutions that meet their needs
As well as gaining valuable experience on the job, we’ll support you with a dedicated training and learning programme where you’ll be able to:
- Stay up to date with industry trends and emerging design tools and techniques
- Take part in mentoring and coaching, learning from senior designers
You’ll also complete a professional qualification in Service Design, which is fully funded at no cost to you. (Please note this is not a degree course but you will achieve a Level 6 qualification that is equivalent to an honours degree).
You’ll find more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance that will complement your learning.
- A dedicated line manager and mentoring from senior team members to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
- Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
- Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with National Highways.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team.
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise.
- The ability to give and receive information effectively.
- The ability to write clearly and concisely.
- A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways.
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- You must hold (or be predicted) a minimum of five GCSEs (including English and Maths, at grade C/grade 4 or above).
- We may also consider applicants who have successfully completed a related Level 3/4 Advanced Apprenticeship, or those with non-standard qualifications, or a significant amount of relevant work-based or professional experience.
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
The Digital Services Directorate is a growing and vibrant team and there has never been a better time to join us as we go through our transformation programme. We are helping to transform the way National Highways operates by delivering digital, data and technology services from frontline to back office, in a modern and efficient way. Our vision is to develop integrated information and technology that empowers our colleagues and provides real-time information to our customers, integration with intelligent vehicle and transport systems as they develop, to improve journey safety and reliability.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.
To apply please visit