Job Title – Solution Architect (Security and Networking)
Location - Edinburgh or Nether Alderley
Contract Type – Permanent
Closing Date – 27th September 2021
Royal London is the largest mutual life insurance, pensions and investment company in the UK. Since its foundation 160 years ago, Royal London has supported millions of people to protect and provide for themselves and their families.
Our culture is welcoming, friendly, flexible and we aim to make you always feel included. We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break or those who are transitioning from different sectors.
To support this, we are always open to discussing flexible working arrangements and as we transition to hybrid working, we will discuss working patterns or locations that ensure you have the freedom to be your best. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
We believe that being together some of the time will help our colleagues to feel truly connected to our Spirit of Royal London culture. Many of us value the passing conversations, social interactions and building relationships that comes from being together in the office.
We currently have an exciting opportunity to bring onboard a Solution Architect to join Royal London Group on a permanent basis in Edinburgh or Nether Alderley.
The Solution Architect contributes to the strategy, thought leadership around technical design and operating models, reference architectures and delivery road mapping across the Cyber Security, Networks and Identity domain for Royal London Group Architecture, or across multiple domains when deployed to our largest and most complex transformation programmes.
- This role will report into a Full Stack Architect and will have responsibility specifically for the entirety of the Cyber Security, Networks and Identity domain architecture landscape or engage on a large programme role with responsibility for the End2End architecture including Service Resilience and Support Operating Model
- This role is also a successor role for the Full Stack Architect role and will lead architecture engagement with specific executive committees/business leaders as required on behalf of the Principal or Full Stack Architect. This is to understand business strategies and the implications for technology domain strategies, ensuring that a Group-wide consideration is taken at all times
- You will contribute to the development of the major technology strategies for the group, bringing specific technical competencies and knowledge ensuring these are properly reviewed through governing bodies and are then used to both inform executive committees and business leaders and underpin major programme design governance
- Build a robust high-level plan to deliver the IT strategy. Be aware of the budgetary and other constraints in delivering the plan successfully
- You will be responsible for defining, influencing and ensuring adherence to the strategic design principles and governance framework.
- You will provide coaching and support for other members of the function in order to improve and extend the Architecture capability in line with the Architecture Target Operating Model
- Establish and maintains the strategy for an integrated Cyber Security, Networks and Identity & Access Management service involving hybrid IAM for colleague, data scanning for compliance and security assurance, works with RLG network and security SMEs to realise strategy, identifies significant risks, vulnerabilities or changes driven by external factors such as regulatory or wider market shifts.
- Work in a hybrid environment (cloud and on-premises) within a primarily Microsoft estate, works with RLG Engineering teams to improve security coding practices (DevSecOps), and works with Networking teams to modernise RLG networking
- Research and applies innovative security architecture solutions to new or exising problems and able to justify and communicate design decisions.
- Develop vision, principles and strategy for security architects for a project or technology
- Strong technical design and enterprise-wide architecture understanding and skills, with demonstrable knowledge of industry trends related to technology in the Cyber Security, Networks and Identity domain
- Demonstrable range of security skills and experience including some of the following, Secure Design and Coding, IAM, Network Security, Security Operations, governance and risk
- End to end design of cost-effective, innovative, scalable and maintainable enterprise application solutions
- Strong knowledge of package-based solutions/enterprise application integrations, and experience of closely working with third parties and suppliers, and strong and proven communication of technical information to all levels of the organisation
- Capability to develop presentations for and present to executive and senior level committees
- Understanding of operating and commercial models and processes that can wrap around technologies
- Have the ability to build and grow relationships with business and technical stakeholders to advance security, identity and networking strategic goals
- CCNA and/or CISSP or equivalent qualified
- Ability to think strategically but pick up the technical detail to fit in to the strategy
- Commercial awareness and financial management skills, and good knowledge of architecture frameworks, trends and initiatives
- In depth and current knowledge of one or more common application technology stacks (e.g., Microsoft .NET application technology stack)
What We Offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing.
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return
- Glassdoor have again ranked as among the best places to work in the UK.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.