The location of the role is Paddington, London (hybrid remote working).
The pay rate on offer is up to £700 per day (Inside IR35)
The client is a large, multinational high-street retailer
We are looking for a passionate Tech Lead to help design, develop and deploy software for our solution for Next Gen Sparks Mission Team. The successful candidate will be able to build high-quality, innovative and fully performant software in compliance with best practise coding standards and technical design. Help to drive better working practises and become a valued member of the engineering department.
Next Gen Sparks Mission Team goal is to test and build hypothesis for
- Unlimited Next Day Delivery that would increase consideration and purchase frequency.
- Offering discounted pricing across a spectrum of product categories (flowers, beauty, essentials) if customers start a recurring subscription would result in increased spend and consideration.
- Creating a recurring mechanic that conveniently bundlesor automatically sends what customers could regularly want would capture share of wallet within category or trying new categories.
- Creating a paid membership tier with various premium benefits would generate a revenue stream that partially or fully subsidises benefits that meaningfully reward loyal customers
Problem statement: -
- Many customers don't shop with us frequently enough / low share of wallet
- Many customers shop a single mission, or with low consideration or awareness of breadth that we offer
- For some customers, current Sparks proposition doesn't offer enough value exchange leading to disengagement.
- Current Sparks proposition enhances existing loyalty behaviour versus being a platform for creating new.
Key Accountabilities and Measures
- Strong software design. Expected to know a wide array of software design patterns in depth, display a strong understanding of algorithms and data structures, and able to show multiple real-life examples of applications of this knowledge.
- Consults business stakeholders on the best approach for delivering complicated feature, both in how it can be split and sequenced, and in terms of potential improvement to the functional requirements
- Beginning to show signs of continuously mentoring less experience members of the team. Not just giving a hand here and there, but genuinely trying to upskill their peers.
- Collaboratively solves problems; communicates technical decisions through tech-talks and white-boarding sessions
- Shows engagement when architecting and developing new software
- Shows engagement with the wider engineering community. Hosts Brown and Bag sessions and is seen as someone who interacts with the wider engineering community.
- Helps other engineers to produce clean, quality code through strong engagement in code reviews and pair programming
- Takes full ownership of the tasks in their backlog and is also begging to show signs of taking accountability for the entire team's backlog.
- Actively engages with the product teams to make the product better, and to understand ambiguous requirements
- To be seen as helpful, by both engineers and product
- Knows when to challenge the team to be pragmatic.
- Experience with using templating engines (Handlebars, Mustache)
- Strong experience with CSS/SASS
- Familiarity with ES6 / CSS3 syntax's
- Experience with NodeJS and Express
- Experienced in consuming and sending data to Restful APIs
- Experience with build automation tools (Webpack, nodemon)
- Experience with testing frameworks and libraries such as Mocha, Chai or Webdriver.io
- Understanding of UX and UI with HTML and CSS3 knowledge
- Proven experience developing a best of class web applications in several different business contexts
- Strong understanding in responsive design
- Experience working within a CI environment, preferably where continuous deployments where possible
- Experience working within an Agile environment such as Scrum or Kanban
- Ability to mentor and provide constructive feedback to members of the team
- Proficiency with TDD & BDD
- Good understanding of good software design principles both in terms of object-oriented design and best practices applying functional programming paradigms
- Experience with distributed version controls systems like Git
- Awareness of extreme and pair programming
- Understanding of Accessibility best practices
- Experience of cross browser support and supporting older devices
- Cloud experience - Preferably Azure.